Your Neighborhood Contractor
Today I heard about a contractor who had been hired by various neighbors. The contractor had abandoned one job while continuing to work at the other. A couple of weeks ago I met a homeowner who hired a contractor because many of the neighbors were happy with him. Now he says he wished that he had asked that contractor the right questions.
So, what are the right questions? Here are ten questions to ask your contractor, even if he or she comes highly recommended:
1. Have you ever done this particular type of work before?
2. Can you give me references of homeowners for whom you have done this kind of work?
3. What is the largest job you have ever handled?
4. How many jobs do you work on at one time?
5. If I accept your proposal, how many jobs will you be working on while you are doing my job?
6. How many people are in your crew?
7. How often will you personally be at the job site?
8. Who will be in charge when you are not at the job site, and will he/she have the authority to make decisions?
9. Will you give me your cell phone number or a time when you will be reachable during the week?
10. Are your subcontractors readily available for work on my job, or will there be delays because they are overbooked?